Just like every new mom, I've got to say it...
"Where did the year go?? How is he THIS big already? Do I have to start saying "my toddler" instead of "my baby"??"
Before I start getting all emotional over here and change my mind about having another baby right away, I'm going to change the subject....and share Owen's first birthday with you!
My mom flew in for this super special occassion, and the four of us started the day at his yearly check-up (who doesn't want to go to the Dr on their birthday? lol)
Then we drove past the hospital where he was born (so sweet!)
We then went to look at puppies at the pet store (Owen was equally excited and terrified!) and bought a birthday balloon which he proudly held around the store.
We ended the night with a good old cake smashing when our church small group came over.
On the weekend we had a bigger party with our close friends (and Owen's little friends too!). We had more yummy treats, opened some presents, and played with blocks (well, the little ones did anyway haha - the adults all sat and talked, cause what else do you do for a one year old party? I feel like birthdays will get increasingly exciting the older he gets) .
Since Owen has been vegan, gluten-free, and mostly sugar-free so far in his little life, I thought it would not be so fun on his little tummy to suddenly give him dairy, gluten, and sugar so I made a really delicious fructose-free, gluten-free and vegan birthday cake.
It's my pleasure to share the recipe with you today!
Owen's Healthy + Delish Chocolate Birthday Cake
1 3/4 Cup brown rice flour
1 Cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Cup rinsed black beans
3/4 Cup water
1/4 Cup Earth Balance "Butter" spread
1/2 Cup mashed avocado
Heaping 1/4 Cup, powdered Stevia
1/2 Cup brown rice syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 Cup Earth Balance, room temperature
1/2 Cup soft tofu
3 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cocoa powder
stevia to taste
1 Can coconut cream, left in fridge overnight
- Preheat the oven 325 degrees
- Spray or line a 9" by 9" pan with coconut oil
- Mix dry ingredients (except sugars)
- Puree the black beans and half the water in a food processor
- In a separate bowl, beat the Earth Balance with an electric mixer.
- Add avocado, mix.
- Add both sugars and vanilla extract.
- Beat until creamy.
- Slowly mix and add the flour mixture.
- Add the bean mixture.
- Add the remaining water.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Test with a toothpick.
- Cool. Store in fridge.
For the frosting:
- Beat Earth Balance and tofu in a Kitchen Aid Blender or food processor.
- Add vanilla
- Slowly mix and add cocoa
- Add Stevia
- Open refrigerated can of coconut milk and scoop out the creamy part (live the liquid coconut water, save for a smoothie!)
- Add to mix and blend well
- Top the cake!
- Add sprinkles if you want!
- Let your baby....er toddler (ahhh) smash and eat it!
Adapted from wherethecookiesare.com