Late one night last week we got a real craving for oatmeal cookies but I could not find one recipe that we had all the ingredients for! I also wanted to cut down the sugar load too - I stumbled across this recipe on Veggie and the Beast Feast, made a few changes like cutting out the sugar but replacing it with extra chia seeds and they turned out great! I also made my own apple sauce by simmer 1 chopped apple with a few splashes of water and lemon juice for five minutes and then blended.
2 1/2 cups gluten free old fashioned oats, divided
1/2 cup unsweetened finely-shredded coconut
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, solid
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 Tbsp warm water, let sit 5 minutes in the fridge)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free)
3 Tbsp Chia seeds + 3-6 Tbsp Water (until consistency is able to form well into little clumps)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place 1 1/2 cup of the oats in a food processor until a fine flour forms.
- In a large bowl, mix with the remaining oats, shredded coconut, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together the solid coconut oil and sugar.
- Add the maple syrup and applesauce, then stir in the flax egg and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a cookie sheet with coconut or olive oil spray.
- Shape dough into cookie balls.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, let cool.